Monday, April 25, 2011

Layout Tutorial

I created this layout, and the associated tutorial for the May Arts Design Team call. I used Crate Paper Emma's shoppe papers, stickers and chipboard, Bazzill cardstock, May Arts ribbon, My Mind's Eye brads and die cut, Tattered Angels glimmer mist and clearsnap ink.

The first step for this layout is to mist the background. I wanted just a little bit of color, so I lightly misted sort of behind where the main cluster was going to go, and added a little bit of splash on the right side.
While that is drying, you can make the ribbon flowers. I created a little video tutorial that you can see here on how to create these flowers. You will need one lace flower, one teal, one brown striped, two small cream and two small yellow. For the lace flower, I tied the thread onto the end of the lace, because obviously the large holes of the lace would not hold the knot from slipping through.

Once you have finished the flowers it is time to assemble. You will want to cut that floral paper down to about 5 ¾ of an inch by 9 inches. You want it just a little more narrow than the photo, mine was 4x6. However you also want to punch the right edge, so I left a little extra space for that. Punch that edge, then ink the edges with Chestnut Clearsnap cat's eye ink.
Next you want to machine stitch around the edge of the floral paper and the edge of the background paper. Then add the lace and ribbon to the floral paper, by wrapping it around the top and bottom edge and securing on the back. I used more of the same glimmer mist to dye the cream ribbon to a light brown color.
Now you want to move on to the title block. I built the title block almost as it's own little layout, adding more detail as I went along. Make sure to cut the top off of that blue journaling spot because we will use that piece later to complete a visual triangle. I ended up using the pink chipboard flower on this part though, so note that the yellow flower in the image below is just sitting there, and won't be used here.
I also inked the edges of the yellow card, the letters in music, and both stickers with more Chestnut Clearsnap ink.

This is how the title block looks when almost finished.

Now you want to start assembling everything. I worked on assembling it all together as a complete unit before adding it to the background, so that I could make sure it was placed the way I wanted it - slightly off center. I added the matted photo, the 'cards' that were cut from another Emma's shoppe paper, and the chipboard flowers. I also inked all the pieces except the photo mat, with more Chestnut Clearsnap cat's eye ink. I also added a ruffled pink ribbon to draw the eye from the title to the ribbon flowers.
Finally you will add the finishing touches. The blue ribbon flower, along with the two pieces of the die cut circle create a visual triangle with the blues. The two small yellow ribbon flowers and the yellow chipboard flower (and the brad) complete a visual triangle with the yellows. Finally, the two pink stickers and the pink chipboard flower complete a visual triangle with the pinks.

Supplies:
Ink: Clearsnap Chestnut Cat's Eye Pigment, Patterned Paper, Stickers and Chipboard: Crate Paper Emma’s Shoppe, Letter Stickers:American Crafts Thickers and Adornit by Carolee, Journaling Spot: My Mind’s Eye Lush, Brads: My Mind’s Eye Stella Rose, Mist: Tattered Angels Latte Glimmer Mist, Punch: Fiskars Apron Lace, Ribbons: May Arts NR22 (1.5” textured two-tone pink), 376-1-94 (1" grosgrain satin edge teal), ME 33 (3/4" solid/reversible stripes brown), EA09 (1/2" solid/wrinkled cream), EA27 (1/2" solid/wrinkled yellow), NP09 (1.5" lace cream)





3 comments:

ellen s. said...

Love it!!!!

HarmonySweetpea said...

Stunning. Thanks for the tutorial too.

Michele Brooks said...

You know, I've always wanted to see the though process when coming up with title blocks. Thanks so much for sharing this. :D I'm gonna have to try the concept on my next page.